Macdonald Hall and Macdonald Institute

Macdonald Hall and Macdonald Institute

Macdonald Institute (left) and Macdonald Hall (right), 1919. Regional and Campus History Collection, Archival and Special Collections, University of Guelph Library.

Both built in 1903, Macdonald Hall is the oldest student residence on campus and the Macdonald Institute houses classroom spaces and offices. The Institute was co-founded by Adelaide Hoodless and Sir William Macdonald for the training of young women in the study of nature and the domestic arts and sciences.

Close to the President's House, the Macdonal Hall and Macdonald Institute sit next to each other on 74 and 50 Macdonald Street, respectively. The brutalist building in closest proximity to Macdonald Hall is the student residence Lambton Hall.