The current Johnston Hall was constructed in 1932 and contains both student living quarters as well as administrative offices. It is one of the most recognizable buildings on the University of Guelph campus and is located at 45 Trent Lane.
It was constructed on the previous site of Moreton Lodge, which began its existense as a stone farm house. By 1879, however, additional storeys and two new wings had been added making the original farm house no longer recognizable except for its portico. When the earlier Johnston Hall was demolished, the university kept the portico and moved it onto Johnston Green where it continues to stand.
This landmark on campus sits in close proximity to the MacKinnon building and the McLaughlin Library, both brutalist buildings.