Origins

This poster was part of the Massey-Harris Company promotion for their agricultural machinery sale in Paris. The Massey-Harris Company was the largest agricultural equipment company during the late 1890’s, on a multinational level.

The poster is assumed to be created in the years of 1901-1909, as this poster is part of a five piece series of chromolithography created to establish the company’s high standing in the agricultural industry. And by looking at the artwork relevance to the time of the other four pieces, it can be assumed that this poster was created between the years of 1901 and 1909. 

Looking closely at the poster artwork, it can be deduced to made in the form of lithography. Historically speaking, this conclusion would not be far from the truth as lithography was a popular choice for poster creation in mass production (Duce, 1912). Also, the writing at the bottom of the poster indicates that it was reprinted by a company called Orchard & Ind Limited, and is not the original. The original creation location is unknown, but can be understood to have been mass produced.

Massey-Harris, 138 d'Allemange Paris Poster